If anyone wants to learn longboarding, he/she needs to learn how to stand on a longboard. If you have no idea about standing on a longboard, you won’t be able to perform with your longboard. So I hope you can understand the importance of learning how to stand on a longboard. For longboard riding, first, you need to learn the proper stance.
Now the question is “what is stance?” Stance is the way of positioning your feet and body on your longboard. If you want to have a good riding, you should be careful about your stance.
Stances may depend on many factors such as the direction of your shoulder and hips, how hard you bend your knees, how you lean your torso etc. Stances may differ according to the types of longboarding. If you can do the right posture, you may achieve your desired riding.
Which Foot Goes First On A Longboard?
According to the placement of the foot, there are two types of stances for longboarding. One is the regular stance and the other is the goofy stance. First, you need to identify if you are a regular rider or a goofy rider. If you are a regular rider, then you will stand on a longboard with your left foot forward. But if you are a goofy rider, you will stand with your right foot forward on the longboard.
If you want to know your stance, you can try 2 methods. They are:
- Try to move or kick something with your foot. Whichever foot you use might be the foot you will place on the back of your longboard. You can try both regular stance and goofy stance to see which stance is right for you.
- Another method is to get slightly pushed by someone. You can ask someone to give you a slight shove. You have to see which foot you will use to catch yourself and this foot is your dominant foot.
Footedness stance – this stance refers to the natural preference of one’s left or right foot for various purposes. It is the same to you if you are a right-handed rider or left-handed rider. In this stance, your dominant foot will help you to have a precise riding direction and also to have a good control over your board. Your back foot will dominate the other foot.
Cruising Longboard Stance
Before making this stance you have to confirm if you are a regular rider or a goofy rider. The processes of doing this stance are:
- Place your feet on the board but remember that your feet should be wider than your shoulder width
- Place your feet at an equal distance from the back trucks and the front trucks
- Bent your knees a little to keep your balance
- Slightly rotate your body facing forward
- Torso should remain neutral in this stance. It cannot be leaned backward or forward
- When going over a bump or cracks, you can lean forward or bend your knees.
Pushing The Board Stance
If you want to do this stance, you can use your dominant foot to push while your front foot will be using to keep your balance on the board. Some riders use the reverse type. You can choose one of them according to your comfort. Let’s see how to do this stance.
- First, you should focus on your back foot which you will be using to push
- Squat down on your front leg
- Bent your knee a bit for more control and power
- Your shoulder and hips should be positioned facing the forward direction of motion
- Also, lean your torso facing forward to follow the direction of the longboard’s movement
Foot Braking Stance
This stance is almost like the pushing stance. In this stance, you need to use your front leg to achieve your desired balance and also your body should be faced forward completely. To make this stance you should:
- Squat down a little to put the back foot lower to the ground
- Your back foot should be parallel to your standing foot
- Instead of pushing, brush your foot against the ground
- Lift your toes up in order to avoid cracks
Carving Longboard Stance
This stance can be used to revolve around like taking snake turns. This stance is considered to be a technical riding style, which depends on finding the right stance. To do this stance, you should follow these steps:
- You should shift your body weight between your toes and heels constantly
- Your back and front foot should be placed in a perpendicular place across the board
- Before and after one carve or turn, your knees will be flexing and straightening alternately
If you are a beginner, you should master on how to balance or stand on a longboard first. Then you should identify the stances so that you can play the tricks more easily. Before playing tricks, you should also know how to stop on a longboard. Then after taking safety precautions, you can keep practicing. Thus you can become a master longboard rider.
5 Best Drop Through Longboards In 2023
Swagtron T3 Review In 2023: What You Should Need To Know
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published.