Longboarding is a popular and exciting way to get around and have fun, and there are many different longboards on the market to choose from. In this article, we will introduce some of the best longboards of 2023 and provide an overview of the key features to consider when selecting a longboard.
From deck shape and size to trucks and wheels, there are various factors that can impact a longboard’s performance and suitability for different riding styles and conditions. By understanding these factors and choosing a high-quality longboard, you can enjoy a smooth, efficient, and enjoyable ride.
Whether you’re a beginner looking for your first longboard or an experienced rider seeking a new and improved ride, there are plenty of great options to choose from in 2023.
At A Glance Comparison of Top-rated Longboards
|Best Freeride Volador Freeride Longboard
|Best Freestyle Playshion Drop Through Longboard
|Best Downhill Atom Drop Through
|Lightweight White Wave Bamboo Longboard
|Best Carving Quest Super Cruiser Longboard
Reviews of Top 10 Best Longboards 2023
1. Volador 42inch Freeride Longboard – Top Pick
Volador 42inch is our top pick when it is about the best longboards for freeride. This longboard comes with a 42-Inch long and 9 inches wide deck. The drop-through design deck has self-balancing properties.
Besides, the deck is made of high-quality 8 ply maple wood. This made the deck durable enough to hold 250 pounds of weight. Another attractive thing about the board is its broad range of design. The board has ten vibrant design options that are a plus point.
Moreover, high rebound polyurethane wheels are added for performance. These 70mm standard size wheels are durable, flexible, and shock absorbent. For bearings, it has ABEC-9 bearings, one of the top-rated bearings you can find on longboards.
Furthermore, 7-inch aluminum trucks are another attractive feature of this longboard. What’s more, you can adjust this reverse kingpin truck from 45- 50 degrees. Most importantly, you can get all of this at a reasonable price. Volador is the number 1 longboard with design and price range.
- Durable 8-ply maple made deck.
- Rebound 70mm polyurethane wheels.
- Reverse kingpin 7-inch aluminum trucks.
- ABEC-9 bearings for precise performance.
- Multiple design options.
- Smooth and stable ride.
- Suitable for starters and experts.
- The trucks may need to be tightened after some time.
Verdict: If you’re looking for a freeride longboard then you’re in the perfect place. Volador 42inch is the best option for freeride that also suits beginners.
2. Playshion Drop Through Freestyle Longboard Skateboard Cruiser
PlayStation Drop Through is one of the best longboards for beginners, specially built for freestyle. Importantly, riders can practice different riding styles with this board.
First, you notice from this freestyle longboard its construction. Made from maple wood with a drop-through design, the 39-inch deck is durable for ride. More importantly, it can easily carry 250 pounds of weight.
Moreover, reverse kingpin aluminum trucks are ready for a comfortable ride. Plus, the soft polyurethane wheels allow you to ride any type of ground. What’s more, a 70x50mm wheel means it’s bigger and better for beginner riders. Lastly, if you think about speed, the ABEC 9 bearings are ready for smooth speed.
- Durable 8 ply maple made deck.
- Soft PU wheels suitable for riding.
- Solid reverse kingpin aluminum trucks.
- Smooth ABEC-9 bearings for a speedy ride.
- Multifunctional longboard.
- Lightweight but durable.
- Easy to learn and ride.
- Not good for doing tricks.
Verdict: PlayStation is one of the best longboard performance as well as expensive boards. This freestyle longboard received countless positive reviews from the riders.
3. Atom Drop Through – 41 Inch
Starting from the deck, it has 41-inch long and 10-inch wide deck. The deck is made of laminated maple which makes it a long-lasting performer. Besides, the board isn’t heavier as compared to other downhill boards. Only an 8.99 pounds board can carry up to 220 pounds of weight.
Moreover, the longboard has 70 by 51mm high rebound urethane wheels. These urethane wheels allow you to ride on any type of ground. Similarly, ABEC 9 bearings are added for more functionality. Whether you’re on high speed, this board will give great control and stability. That’s because it has Reverse Kingpin (RKP) trucks with 245-mm axles. No matter if you’re a beginner or expert, it’s assumed that you can run the longboard properly.
- Maple laminated 41-inch long deck.
- Reverse Kingpin (RKP) trucks with 245mm axles.
- High rebound 70-by-51mm urethane wheels.
- ABEC 9 bearings in addition with high-speed lubricant.
- Ultra low riding.
- Unique perimeter shape.
- User friendly for beginner to expert.
- Sometimes it needs adjustment.
Verdict: Atom Drop Through is known for its strength, stability, and functionality. This is one of the best longboards for downhill carving, both beginners to experts.
4. White Wave Bamboo Longboard Skateboard Complete
Every longboard manufacturer wants to add some unique features to their boards. White Wave Bamboo is unique for Its lightweight but durable construction. Bamboo is broadly known as a lightweight but highly durable material. Made of bamboo and maple wood combination, the White Wave Bamboo is the lightest longboard with the latest additions. Its 40 inches x 9.5 inches size deck is designed for maintaining better balance on riding. As we mentioned, the deck is made of multiple bamboo and maple wood combinations. As a result, it’s strong for long-term use. Along with this, the 7-inch aluminum trucks are made in mind the size of decks.
Another attractive part of the bamboo longboard is its wheel. It has 70mm x 50mm high rebound urethane wheels. As a result, it can move very fast with riders of all ages. Also, the ABEC 9 bearing is of very good quality and it rolls smooth and silent. All of this you can get in at only 3.86 Kilogram of the bamboo longboard. That’s one of the lightest bamboo boards from the market.
- Lightweight bamboo-maple wood construction.
- High-quality aluminum trucks.
- High rebound urethane wheels.
- ABEC-9 bearings built-in spacers.
- Superb light longboard.
- Smooth and stable ride.
- Suitable for beginners to experts.
- You have to tighten the wheel nuts before using them.
Verdict: White Wave Bamboo is best for beginners cruising and also for carving curves. If you’ve been searching for something special to add to your collection, this might be your best bet.
5. Quest Super Cruiser Longboard
Quest Super Cruiser has multiple maple and artisan bamboo-made decks. This combined construction made this deck strong, flexible, and light too. Its 44 inches x 9 inches size is suitable for all-ages riders. Plus, a 280-pound weight capacity is sufficient for heavier riders.
Moreover, polyurethane wheels and ABEC 7 bearings are ready to roll in all conditions. What’s more, this cruiser longboard has a 7-inch reverse kingpin aluminum truck. Overall, you can get a smooth riding experience with this cruiser longboard.
- Artisan bamboo-maple wood deck.
- 7-inch reverse kingpin aluminum trucks.
- 70mm polyurethane wheels plus ABEC 7 bearings.
- Style and quality components combination.
- Strong, reliable, and flexible.
- Sufficient foot space.
- Suitable for all skill riders.
Verdict: Quest Super Cruiser is one of the best candidates when it comes to carving cruiser longboards.
6. Magneto Longboards Bamboo Longboards
Magneto Bamboo is the best value longboard on our list. Why? Because the difference between a good and great board goes to the deck. That’s why Magneto Longboard uses high-quality materials to make its board.
The deck consists of three plies of bamboo for flexibility and fiberglass for strength and durability. The 42 inches by 9 inches deck is great for fun carving and tight turns. Besides, the bamboo longboard has 7 inch cast aluminum trucks. Plus, the high rebound polyurethane wheels have significant roll-on speeds. Most importantly, the board has wide riding ability, you can go cruising, carving, downhill, and even dancing anywhere. Lastly, it is 3.5 kilograms of weight, so you can easily carry it whenever you want.
- High-performance bamboo fiberglass construction.
- High-rebound polyurethane wheels.
- High-quality 7-inch cast aluminum trucks.
- Designed for stable rides, turns, and tricks.
- Multiple-choice options.
- Lightweight, durable and flexible.
- Need some upgrades.
Verdict: Magneto Bamboo is one of the best value longboards on the market. It’s designed to cruise, carve, downhill and dance anywhere.
7. Quest Rorshack 34″ Complete Longboard
Some believe that longboards are expensive but the truth is there’s a budget board on the market. Quest Rorshack 34 is the budget longboard as good as the pricier ones.
First impression, you can notice the hybrid deck of this longboard. The deck is a combination of multiple maple and bamboo materials. So, it’s lightweight, durable as well as flexible too. Though, the 34 long deck is smaller than the standard longboard.
Besides, the manufacturer tried to put all reasonable parts for the riders. It’s 70 x 51mm polyurethane wheels fall into the standard wheel category. The hardness rating of the wheels is 80A, which is pretty soft. Plus, ABEC 7 precise bearings are ready to roll the road.
Furthermore, it’s a cheap board, so you can’t expect the best quality trucks. But, you can replace the 6-inches trucks with a better one.
- Maple and bamboo-made hybrid deck.
- Standard 70 x 51mm polyurethane wheels.
- Solid 6 inches aluminum trucks.
- ABEC 7 precise bearings for rolling the road.
- Lightweight, durable, flexible.
- Budget longboard for beginners.
- Not good for advanced riders.
Verdict: It can be a good option for those who are looking for the best longboard within a limited budget.
8. Retrospec Zed Longboard
Retrospec Zed is the number 1 best seller longboard from the market. This best-seller longboard has two versions- Cruiser and Pintail. First of all, the cruiser longboard has a gigantic 44 inches x 9.5 inches deck.
From the size, you can guess that it has sufficient space for all riders. The deck is made of multi-layer maple and bamboo construction. So, it’s lightweight but powerful to hold up to 220 pounds of weight. The board has high-quality reverse kingpin aluminum trucks.
Plus, 70×50 mm polyurethane wheels are fairly big and wide. These shock-absorbent wheels ensure a smooth and stable ride. What’s more, ABEC-7 rated bearings are best for high speed. What’s more, the longboard has multiple color options to choose from. You can choose from Aqua Fishtail, Aqua Pipeline, Black Pipeline, Coral Reef, Zion, and many more.
- 44″ x 9.5″ bamboo and maple made deck.
- Shock absorbent wheels for a stable ride.
- Reverse Kingpin 7-inch aluminum trucks.
- Bestseller longboard.
- Multiple color options.
- Large deck and wide wheels.
- Trucks need to tighten.
Verdict: If you don’t have time to compare all the boards from the market, then we suggest Retrospec Zed Longboard. It’s the number one bestseller longboard available in the market.
9. MBS All-Terrain Longboard
If you’re looking for a longboard that can handle all kinds of terrain, then MBS All-Terrain is for you. No matter either you’re a beginner or an expert, this off-road longboard gets where you want to go.
First of all, the 10 ply maple-made deck is more sturdy than the others. The drop design deck doesn’t touch the ground even on uneven roads. The boards can handle 220 lbs. of weight without any issues. Besides, it has 190mm Navigator Drones trucks for precise turning. Also, the truck has 50 degrees of baseplate angles.
Moreover, high rebound urethane wheels are ready to roll the road. You can go through cracks, rocks, or bumpy roads with these all-terrain wheels. What’s more, no adjustments are needed in the ABEC-9 bearings for a while.
- Multiply maple-made drop deck.
- High-quality 190mm Navigator Drones trucks.
- High rebound all-terrain urethane wheels.
- Handle all kinds of off-road and ground.
- Rolls over all surfaces.
- Stable and comfortable ride.
- Solid build compared to quality.
Verdict: MBS All-Terrain longboard can handle all kinds of terrain. This off-road longboard gets where you want to go.
10. Sector 9 Aperture Sidewinder Drop Through
Sector 9 Aperture is one of the most versatile longboards in our longboard reviews. This drop-through longboard is specially designed for riding downhill. Besides, it’s also good for cruising, carving, and freeriding.
The longboard has a maple wood-made durable drop-through deck. Maple construction makes this board strong to prevent all obstacles. Once you put your feet on board, you’ll feel that the 36 inches x 9 inches deck is easy to control. Besides, gullwing sidewinder trucks allow easy turning on downhill or cruiser rides.
Moreover, the 69mm-80a wheels give you a more comfortable ride. These spongy soft wheels will also reduce the stress on your ankles. Again, the ABEC-5 bearings help you to skate at faster speeds.
- Durable maple-made drop-through deck.
- High-quality 69mm 80A wheels.
- Gullwing sidewinder kingpin trucks.
- Design for downhill, carving, cruising.
- Superior speed capacity.
- Soft wheels for smooth rides.
- Stable turns on sharp corners.
- Produce some noise.
Verdict: Aperture Sidewinder is one of the best outcomes of Sector 9. It’s a versatile longboard and includes all you need for downhill, carving, cruising, or free ride.
Who Is Ultimate Winner?
Volador 42inch is the number one longboard with design and price range. Most importantly, you can get all of the best features at a reasonable price. So, this is the ultimate winner longboard that also suits beginners.
What’s the best longboard Brand for beginners?
We reviewed some of the best longboard brands like Volador, Atom, and Sector 9 Aperture. All of these produce the best quality longboard for beginners.
Types Of Longboard
Downhill: Downhill is one of the extreme versions in the longboarding field. Downhill boards are used for going downhill with super speed. The boards will bring an advanced level of adventure with fun experiences.
Cruisers: Usually, cruisers are the first point that comes to mind whenever we talk about longboards. These boards are flexible to ensure a smoother ride on rough terrains.
Freeride: Another popular longboarding style is free riding. As the name says, the rider can ride freely anywhere he or she wants. Likewise regular skateboards, this style allows performing tricks.
Freestyle: Freestyle is a highly versatile and technical type of riding style. Freestyle longboards come with small and hard wheels.
Dancing: Dancing is a performing art and creative longboarding activity. It’s a form of freestyle, aesthetic rhythm, and dancing movement.
Electric Longboards: Interestingly, all brands haven’t entered the electronic market. Presently, new brands dominated the electric longboards market. Atom is one of the best brands that make electric boards.
Longboard Buying Guide
For longboarding, you can pick up any particular riding style. You can use a longboard to cruise or skate around anywhere. Students can attend the class while taking the ride.
Before purchasing one, you should consider everything. For instance, an individual living in Apple Valley, Minnesota will not have to face many hills. On the contrary, a person living in Arizona will find many hills or flatlands.
The longboarder may be concerned about the skill level of the rider. There are many boards with different styles and settings. It’s designed for sustaining the level of the rider’s skill.
As a result, the riding experience will be enjoyable and adventurous. Undoubtedly, new riders can rely on the shape, flex, and mounting style of the board.
Longboard Shape (Directional, Symmetrical)
Most boards come with two main shapes, directional and symmetrical. Moreover, they can be used by novices and experts simultaneously.
- Directional: The boards have the design for going in one direction. The perfect example is a cruiser or carver, freestyle, and downhill board.
- Symmetrical: They are designed in a way so that the boards feel and seem similar. No matter whatever the direction of use, these boards slide for 180 degrees. So, you can use them in freestyle and freeriding.
Secondly, the most important aspect of the best longboard is the deck style. It will influence the overall stability of the board. You can effortlessly push on the flat ground.
- Top-Mount: For longboards, the traditional shape is the top mount. Most amazingly, it is comparatively cheap to purchase. Though it’s less stable but suitable for downhill, cruising, carving, or freeride.
- Drop Through: In this, the trucks of the longboard are mounted through the deck. As a result, the height of the deck is decreased. Drop-through longboards are stable and best for beginners. It’s also good for riding long distances.
- Drop Deck: Drop deck comes with an elongated U-shape. The center gravity of the longboard is lowered. The drop will protect the longboarder to wedge the feet into every side. So, the rider feels comfortable when riding. They are excellent for freeride and downhill.
- Double Drop: Double drop is less common than the others. The board is a mixture of the drop-down and drop-through styles. This different deck style is used for downhill. The double drop is harder to construct. Therefore, it is more expensive and less common.
- Super shock absorption.
- Reduce stability at top speeds.
- Great for tricks and mellow cruising.
- Springy feel brings energy to new tricks.
- Excellently stable at super speeds.
- Higher shock absorption.
- Perfect for commuting and carving.
- Extremely stable at high speeds.
- Unforgiving on cracked pavements and bumpy roads.
- Perfect for riding fabulously fast.
In terms of length, longer boards will provide more stability. However, the midsize board will be helpful for the beginner.
Trucks are T-shaped metal pieces that connect the deck with the wheels. It attaches the wheels to the deck and allows you to turn. Usually, two types of trucks are mostly used, traditional kingpin and reverse kingpin. Reverse kingpin trucks are best for the new riders. Because they are more stable than the traditional ones.
Longboard wheels are softer and larger than ordinary skateboard wheels. Diameter and durometer are two important aspects of the wheels.
Each wheel contains two bearings to provide a fast ride. Bearings are rated on ABEC (Annular Bearing Engineers Committee) scale. Most of the longboard bearings are ABEC 5 to ABEC 7 rated.
They are the small urethane pieces that will allow the trucks to make turns. Beginners should understand the basics of tightening and loosening the trucks. When you tighten the trucks, they will become more stable.
Longboards can accommodate riders of almost all ages. However, they have weight limits also. Multiple maple-made boards can carry up to 250 pounds of weight. On the other side, fiberglass or bamboo-made boards can carry up to 220 pounds of weight. Check Best Wood For Longboards
Longboarders should always use protective gear as safety concerns are inherited.
- Full-Face Helmet: It’s specially designed for protecting the head from extreme impact. Downhill racer mandatorily uses the full-face helmet.
- Helmet: Helmet is the most essential part of longboard safety gears. The design helps to protect the user’s head.
- Leathers: Serious individuals can use the leather suit to perform downhill racing. Also, professional racers should wear racing leathers.
- Pads: They are used to protect every part of the body. The pads protect the elbows, knees, palms, and wrists of the hands.
- Slide Gloves: These gloves protect the skater’s elbow and hand. Allow to put the hand on the surface while riding at top speeds.
Benefits Of Longboarding
Like other sporting activities, longboarding has many health benefits. This popular activity supports the heart health of the users.
An hour of intense riding will burn 300 or more calories. So, you can easily lose weight while enjoying the ride with adventurous excitement. The sport refreshes your mind. Also, it aids in stress relief.
Longboarding helps in strengthening your body muscle, particularly the leg. It is a flexible sport that helps in the movement of the body. Longboarding enhances the body’s flexibility and improves the overall balance.
Along with burning unwanted cholesterol, it provides an attractive body. Eventually, longboarders will be able to stay fit and healthy by regular riding.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: Can you ride longboards ‘off road’?
Answer: Obviously, you can ride the longboards ‘off road’. The board will be able to move through dirt tracks or grass fields. The larger wheels can handle the. with speed. However, sand is not good for the bearings. Some specific longboards are built for off-road users. Also, dirt is the worst enemy for the board. Therefore, keep it to a minimum. Moreover, special boards can resist damage from water and mud.
Question: How much does a longboard cost?
Answer: Longboards will cost between 50 dollars to 300 dollars. Ultimately, the board price will rely heavily on the quality of the parts. A good quality one costs higher than the ordinary longboards.
Question: Do I need a helmet or protective gear for longboarding?
Answer: For longboarding, you must wear protective gear or a helmet. For sliding, special plastic gloves are fantastic to enhance the fun. Other protective gears are wrist guards, knee pads, and elbow pads. You should consider them an equally important part of safety. For downhill racing, more specialized gears are required. It includes a full-face covering helmet, racing leathers, and special padding.
Question: Which type of longboard is best for beginners?
Answer: A drop-through longboard is a wonderful option for any beginner. Besides, options like multiple flex will ensure greater riding for the rider style. Fiberglass and bamboo construction are super durable. Moreover, new skaters find comfort during longboarding. Surely, the deck gets the rider started to keep you moving.
Question: What size longboard should I get?
Answer: Mainly, it depends on your experience and skill level. Along with this, size relies on the primary purpose of the board. Longer boards are stable but slower. They are suitable for beginners. Plus, taller riders love these boards. Shorter ones are preferable for younger riders or smaller people. They can perform more tricks with super speeds.
Altogether, we have reviewed the best longboards brands. Hope our best longboard reviews help you to select the suitable one.
Longboarding is one of the most popular sports nowadays. Let’s go ahead with the exciting experience with the best longboards.
Table of Contents